The Launch Place holds The 11th Annual Big Launch Challenge
The Launch Place received over 115 applications for The 11th Annual Big Launch Challenge Pitch Competition from various start-up companies located in the US. The top competitors took the stage today to present their innovative business ideas at the North Carolina Biotech Center in Durham.
The competition kicked off on October 5th at 2:00pm, with a keynote speech from Dr. Ronald Weissman, Chairman of the Angel Capital Association and Band of Angels Software Group. The competition concluded with remarks from The Honorable Wiley Nickel, Member of the United States House of Representatives from the 13th District of North Carolina.
The winner of this year’s competition was Wilmington, NC based Boreas Monitoring Solutions who was awarded a $10,000 cash prize. Boreas Monitoring is an innovative technology company built on safeguarding irreplaceable biological materials. They have revolutionized cryotank monitoring with a patented, weight-based remote monitoring system that offers a safe and reliable alternative to the antiquated systems used in laboratories today. Will Baird, CEO and Co-Founder of Boreas Monitoring Solutions, explained that Boreas will use the funds for marketing and enhancing compliance.
Second place and a $5,000 cash award went to Tromml. Tromml is an insights solution that allows eCommerce sellers to improve profitability by generating actionable insights from their own data streams. Tromml was also The Launch Place’s 2023 IdeaFest First Place Winner.
Winners of the competition will also receive business consulting from The Launch Place. The Launch Place, located in the River District of Danville, VA assists with business formation and scale-up through its pre-seed and seed investments and business consulting service. The Big Launch Challenge competition exposes The Launch Place’s services and funds to start-up companies that are ready to launch, or are seeking early stage capital. The Launch Place could potentially invest in the company from its Pre-Seed and Seed Funds.
Big Launch Challenge Judges and Master of Ceremonies:
- Dr. Dawn Batts (Detroit, MI): Director of Growth Capital, Tech Town
- Timothy J. Cartwright (Naples, FL):, Founder and CEO, Fifth Avenue Family Office; Chairman and Founder, Tamiami Angel Funds, LLC; General Partner, Adrenaline Venture Fund
- Dr. Silvia Mah (San Diego, CA):, General Partner, Stella Impact Capital
- Sumedha Mongia, MD (Washington, D.C.): Physician, Founder, Angel Investor, Healthcare Leader
- Rick Timmins (Austin, TX): Angel Investor/Venture Capital; Former Chairman, Central Texas Angel Network
- Autumn Visser (Roanoke, VA): Principal, Woods Rogers Vandeventer Black PLC.
- Master of Ceremonies: Mark Friedman (Raleigh, NC): President and Co-founder of RTP Capital Associates; CEO of Lakeview Business Advisory
The Big Launch Challenge 2023 Finalists
- Acta Solutions – Acta Solutions helps local governments streamline their customer service. With Acta, local governments respond to emails and phone calls faster, with consistent information, and issue more revenue-generating services like permits and inspections.
- Agricision, Inc. – Agricision, Inc. is a farmer-led ag-tech company dedicated to helping farmers attack invasive pests before major infestations take root leading to costly crop damage, loss, or worse - profit loss. Its solution uses state-of-the-art edge computing and autonomous systems to deliver early and accurate pest detection so they can make “spray/no spray” decisions with confidence.
- Boreas Monitoring Solutions – Boreas Monitoring is an innovative technology company built on safeguarding irreplaceable biological materials. They have revolutionized cryotank monitoring with a patented, weight-based remote monitoring system that offers a safe and reliable alternative to the antiquated systems used in laboratories today
- Bristles AI – Born from personal DIY project struggles, Bristles AI is building the ultimate design platform for home improvement projects. Its AI-powered software transforms your saved photos into interactive design elements for mocking up your creative vision. Find the clarity and confidence to tackle your projects before lifting a paintbrush!
- Cosmic Eats, Inc. – Cosmic Eats, Inc. is developing a small footprint, high yield vertically integrated feeding system for military, humanitarian, and space applications with a built-in food processing subunit and user interface to guide production of plants, algae, and fungi to meet targeted nutrition goals.
- DNAIi – DNAli is driving DNA-based solutions for a rapidly growing bioeconomy. Its first technology pioneers an enzymatic method that produces both existing and first-in-class chemically modified DNAs for diverse applications including the manufacturing of biosensors and diagnostic tests and epigenetics research.
- Jigsawdio - Jigsawdio is an evidence based multi-sensory engagement device for the Alzheimer’s population. Users play their collection of physical personalized jigsaw puzzles on a displayable frame. Sound pieces play recordings or songs that accompany and narrate the image associated with that piece.
- Sportscale - Provides an automated solution to repetitive weight monitoring for athletes.
- Three Strands Recovery Wear – Three Strands Recovery Wear is dedicated to enhancing the healing journey of post-surgical patients through their revolutionary product, the Resilience Bra, and additional loungewear garments. Its mission is to positively impact every patient's recovery, offering exceptional comfort and support through its recovery garments and community platform.
- Tromml – Tromml is an insights solution that allows eCommerce sellers to improve profitability by generating actionable insights from their own data streams.
A Special Thanks to Our Sponsors: